Wednesday 1 February 2017

February 2017 Monthly Motif Challenge : Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

Image result for rivers of london ben aaronovitch
My February Mothly Motif Choice! A very interesting spiral of a book. It starts with Nicolas Wallpenny, a ghost in the cemetery nearby who witnesses a beheading and tells our protagonist, Peter Grant, all about it. Then a series of mysteriously magical murders occurs and constable Grant must lure out the killer and train to be a wizard (INSERT HARRY POTTER REFERENCE) at the same time.


The writing style is something I really enjoyed. I loved how tongue-in-cheek some of the humor was throughout. The only thing that nags at me was Lesley's fate, and the fact that I don't believe our main character will still have the same fantasies about her afterwards. It also took me a while to learn to love Beverly Brook. If only because she came off as very adolescent in some ways but I've read enough teen fiction for it not to bother me too much. Molly was one of my favorite characters, but I find it hard to point a finger as to why.


This book was recommended to me by one of my work-mates and good friends at the book shop. And while I usually, as an inside joke, make a point of hating everything he recommends me, I can't help but love this book. The climax has everything a good theatre goer loves and the madness all the way through keeps you guessing and guessing.



No comments:

Post a Comment